Study in Australia

There are many reasons to study in Australia: the quality of the universities and the international recognition of Australian degrees, the friendly people and great cities, the weather and environment. Read more

There are 43 universities in Australia, of which 3 are private and the rest a government universities.  All are of a high standard and are closely regulated and monitored by the government to ensure the quality of Education.  There is also a special law to protect international students studying in Australia.  The Group of Eight (Go8) is recognized as the leading research universities and are the highest ranking but the quality of education you get at all these universities is very good and some of the non-Go8 institutions offer amazing facilities, programmes and links with industry.  The Go8 are not always the highest ranked institutions in every subject.

University rankings are helpful for finding out more about a university’s reputation and relative strengths and there are a number of different rankings you can use.  Rankings are very important to the universities and lots of effort is put into maximizing their position in the different rankings tables.  If you do rely only on rankings then look at the subject rankings as well as the overall rankings, check several different rankings as they all use slightly different methods to rate the universities.  Finally remember you should think about what is the best university for you!

There are a range of course taught at universities in Australia including Foundation, Diploma, Bachelor, Masters and PhDs.  We can talk you through the best options for you.  There are also more and more online courses.

Yes, you are eligible to study online courses but remember they are different to face to face learning on campus in Australia. For some they are a really good option, but others struggle with this format.

The style of teaching in Australia is different to many countries as the students are encouraged to develop an approach to learning rather than simply remembering what they are taught.


Whatever the kind of course you study you will find it challenging and the styles of teaching very different to those that you are used to.  Perhaps the biggest difference will be the amount of independent study you will be expected to do and that you will be encouraged to develop your own ideas and question all that you learn.  If you are studying more technical subjects, you will spend lots of time in laboratories or workshops developing your skills.


In all degrees you will be expected to study independently, that is spend time in the library and on the internet reading around the subject you are studying.  Rather than simply report what you have found you will be expected to analyse and critically review your findings.


You will be expected to participate in class and contribute to the group discussions, giving your ideas and thoughts.  You will be expected to challenge what you are told and what you read if you do not agree but remember you will have to ‘defend’ your opinions and findings in any academic debate as well.

Yes, you can but we would advise that you use the time productively and it may be best to check with the universities you are interested in (if you know yet) how they feel about Gap Year as well.

Every university is different and there are lots of things to consider when deciding where to go to study – ranking, cost, location, entry requirements etc. Please contact One Education, we are happy to share our experience and help guide you through the process.

CRICOS stands for The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and each programme has a CRICOS Code which indicates a registered program offered to international students studying in Australia on student visas.  Every programme in Australia that is open to international students will have a CRICOS code.

You will usually need a recognized English Language qualification and this does not include being taught in English in Thailand.  Please check with us if you are not sure if you will need to take IELTS.

Yes, you will usually need a visa to study in Australia as an international student.  We are happy to help you through the student visa application process and you may be interested in this article about student visas.

3. Applying to study in Australia

The entry requirements vary with each course so it is almost impossible to generalize but they will require you to prove you are able to follow the course content and to demonstrate this through your academic qualifications to date (School or University grades and qualifications) as well as English language proficiency.  We are happy to advise you on the entry qualifications and your eligibility for specific programmes and universities.

You normally submit applications online but will need to send original documents to support your application (as an official representative we can certify these for you if you apply with us).

You will need original documents for your academic qualifications such as transcripts and certificates – we are authorized to certify these for you if you apply with us.  You normally don’t need additional documents like a statement of purpose or references unless these are specifically requested. Some courses may also require interviews or portfolios.

Yes, in most cases you will need to prove your English language is strong enough to study on the programme you are applying to – we will be happy to advise you on the exact requirements

Most universities offer English Language courses to help improve your English and many will offer a ‘packaged’ offer – this means studying English to reach the required level before enrolling on the degree programme. Of course, you can also study more English and try and take the test again. 

There are different intakes available in most Australian universities, usually at least 2 intakes (January & July) but check as universities with 3 Trimesters have other intakes too.

This depends on the programme and the university but usually you can expect between 2-6 weeks to get the initial decision on your application.  We will advise you on this.

Money and fees to study and live in Australia

The universities will charge a tuition fee for each programme and the fees can vary.  Fee information is given on the university website.  The range of fees is around AUD20,000 to  AUD 45,000 for undergraduate programmes and postgraduate programme (Masters) will usually be a little more expensive.  Please note this is the tuition fee and doesn’t include your accommodation or living expenses.

The cost of living can vary lots depending both on your lifestyle and where you are living, with city centre living usually the most expensive.  Another way of looking at this is that as of October 2019 the financial requirements for a student visa stated the 12 month living costs as just over AUD 21,000 for students.

Yes it is possible to work in Australia both while you are studying and after studying as long as you meet certain conditions.  Your student visa enables you to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during semester, which allows you to earn an income to cover your living expenses while still leaving plenty of time for your studies. During semester breaks you are allowed to work unlimited hours.


You may also be allowed to stay and work after you finish your studies on a Post Study Work Visa but make sure your course qualifies – check the latest details here  –  or come and talk to us about your options.

Yes there are a number of different scholarships available at most universities but they are often competitive.  Each website will have information on the scholarships available or talk to us to find out if you are likely to qualify for a scholarship at one of more of our partners.

Studying English in Australia

There are many different types of English Language programmes available in Australia including General English, English for Academic Purposes, Exam preparation and specialist programmes.  You may hear people talking about ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) and these can be taught at a whole range of institutions from Universities and schools to specialist English Language Schools.  We work with a range of ELICOS schools in Australia so please come and talk to us about your options.

Student Life in Australia

Yes, you will need Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC).  International students undertaking formal studies in Australia, and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old), must obtain OSHC. It includes cover for visits to the doctor, some hospital treatment, ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals (medicines). OSHC insurers can provide a range of different OSHC products.

As a registered student there are a number of discounts or benefits you can take advantage of, especially discounts on public transport.  There are also student cards and websites aimed at student discounts.

This depends on your qualification and you will need to get a new visa but you may be able to stay after your graduation. Please ask us or get professional immigration advice as there are a number of different visa options that will be available to you.


We are an official representative of UK and Australian universities. We provide free counselling and services to support Thai and international students in Thailand.

30 years experience
Over 30 Years Experience

UK and Australian education experts

3 offices in Thailand
3 office locations

Across Bangkok, Thailand

Group of Eight Representative
Group of Eight Representatives

Represent all Group of Eight universities

Russell Group Representatives
High Ranking UK Universities

Represent prestigious universities

Qualified Education Agent
Qualified Education Agents

As a consultant for studying in the UK and Australia

Support 3,000+ students
Support over 3,000 students

Both Thai and international students in Thailand

One Education brings the professional services of Thailand's leading education advisors, Hamilton International's UK expertise together with Insight Education Consulting's Australia expertise. One.