University of Portsmouth
The University of Portsmouth was founded in 1908 and is located on the southern coast of England, approximately 120 kilometers southwest of London. Before being known as the University of Portsmouth, the institute was located at the Park building, serving as the Municipal College for chemistry and engineering subjects, as well as the public library. After World War II, the institute expanded its curriculum to include arts and humanities subjects to meet the demands of the community. In 1969, with an increase in student enrollment, the name was changed to Portsmouth Polytechnic. Later, it was recognized as one of the largest and best-performing polytechnics in the UK, leading to another name change to Portsmouth University.
The University of Portsmouth is situated in a vibrant port town and commercial hub with a population of around 240,000, including over 24,000 students, of which 5,200 are international students. Its location provides convenient access to the beach, parks, and various attractions. Portsmouth is renowned for being a safe and friendly city with excellent transportation.
The University of Portsmouth has five faculties:
- The Faculty of Business and Law
- The School of Accounting, Economics and Finance
- The School of Law
- The School of Organization, Systems and People
- The School of Strategy, Marketing, and Innovation
- The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries
- The School of Architecture
- The School of Art, Design and Performance
- The School of Creative Technologies
- The School of Film, Media and Communication
- The Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- The School of Criminology and Criminal Justice
- The School of Area Studies, History, Politics and Literature
- The School of Education and Sociology
- The School of Language and Applied Linguistics
- The Faculty of Science and Health organizes
- The School of Biological Sciences
- The Dental Academy
- The School of the Environment, Geography and Geosciences
- The School of Health and Care Professions
- The School of Pharmacy and Biomedical Sciences
- The Department of Psychology
- The School of Sport, Health and Exercise Science
- The Medical School
- The Faculty of Technology
- The School of Civil Engineering and Surveying
- The School of Computing
- The Institute of Cosmology and Gravitation
- The School of Energy and Electronic Engineering
- The School of Mathematics and Physics
- The School of Mechanical and Design Engineering
- The Department of Learning at Work
Why should you consider studying at the University of Portsmouth?
The University of Portsmouth is a modern university that offers a diverse range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and research programs across five faculties. Most undergraduate programs include a one-year work placement. According to the 2021 QS World University Rankings, the university received five stars for teaching, employability, internationalization, facilities, arts and culture, and inclusiveness.
The university is also ranked in the top 30 universities in the UK for student satisfaction, based on the 2020 National Student Survey. The university’s courses are designed to prepare students for the highly competitive global job market, and 94% of its graduates find employment or continue their studies after graduation.
The University of Portsmouth specializes in research, from astrophysics and cosmology to cybersecurity, law, and sports science, and aims to provide students with enhanced employment opportunities through paid internships or skill development in various simulated environments. The university’s teaching has been awarded a Gold rating, which is the highest rating, indicating outstanding teaching, learning, and student potential.
The University of Portsmouth is a campus in the city, with modern facilities and over 40 buildings surrounded by green trees, as well as a variety of coffee shops and stores within the campus.
- No.69 in the UK (The Complete Guide 2023)
- Received Gold Award for International Teaching Excellence in 2017
- 84% of postgraduate students were satisfied with the quality of the course, according to the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey 2020
- Top 20 Best Universities for Career Services by Student Crowd 2011
- The university is located in Portsmouth which was voted one of the top 10 most popular cities to study in the UK by YouGov in 2021.
- Information Technology & Systems – No.5 in the UK
- Paramedic Science – No.6 in the UK
- Tourism, Transport, Travel & Heritage – No.8 in the UK
- Sport Science
- Accounting & Finance
- Art & Design
- Medical Technology and Bioengineering
According to The Complete University Guide 2023
Interested in studying at University of Portsmouth?
If you are interested in studying at University of Portsmouth, please add our Line official account to talk with our experts to get you more information and free counselling on your study options. Our service is free of charge.Add Line to talk with our expert